Tuesday 26 June 2012

...So this is how it all started...

My First Quilt With Matching Pillows
...I was at Aunt Liz's, looking at patterns and was interested in starting a quilt.  A co-worker was kind enough to hook me up with some free patterns from the dear old friend, Internet.  I took that pattern to a shop with Aunt Liz, and picked out the above fabric.  I bought what the pattern said and was blown away at the cost.  Mostly because it was just the fabric to complete the top of a 'lap quilt' and it was suppose to be 'on sale'.  Regardless I was eager to try this out.


So I sat for hours, trying to master the rotary cutter, rulers, mats and figuring out this whole thing from vague instructions (at the time I didn't realize how horrible they were, until I was in the thick of it).  I had already decided when I picked out the fabric to complete this project for my Mom.  I had picked out the colors, keeping in mind something country, something spa and something not so crazy.  It took me long enough to complete this little lap thing, with way to much fabric left over.  Aunt Liz again helped me in the process of learning to sandwich the layers and quilt it together.  Nothing was square when I was done, and we were doing our best to make it work.  I had no idea about 'squaring up' before sewing each block together.  Clearly a very valuable lesson learned.


Mom's Christmas Pillows
So nearly a year later, I decided to use the lefty over fabric and create my mother some matching pillows, as you see above.  She was thrilled to get these, as she greatly loved the ones I had given her at Christmas.  The fabric I had also picked out at the same time I bought the quilt fabric, I guess I knew I was going to like doing this.  The reason for the pillows was because my mother ALWAYS had these thing pancakes she claims were pillows.  So I wanted there to be something nice the next time I visited, you know, pillows, not pancakes. (You make think I am exaggerating calling them pancakes, but they literally were only 1/2 inch thick!)  


So this was my FIRST EVER quilt and the start of all other things to come....the fabric stash, the upgrade in machine, numberous classes to learn and do more, time at Aunt Liz's and trying to share the quilting love with my loved ones.  The pillows, they were my 3rd through to 6th pillow, and I have yet to finish the other 2 that are here for me....one of these days....

No comments:

Post a Comment