Tuesday 12 June 2012

Sew What....Have Some Fun


So there are a few ways you can 'quilt' the layers of fabric together.  The technique I have just learned is called Free Motion.  Needless to say, I feel in love with it the moment I tried it and started exploring.  I have a natural knack for it, likely because I am always doodling on paper.  So this is just a fancy way of doodling with the use of a sewing machine.  I just sort of go with what my hands make, and keep going with the flow. I found that the more I thought, the more rigid it looked.  So having fun and relaxing into it was key for me.
Please bare in mind, I was using some super cheap fabric I picked up from Walmart for these practices.  Why waste the expensive stuff on playing around I figure.  Some of the 'styles' have interesting names.  The first picture has some leaves and swirls I was trying out.  Th e next picture shows something called 'garlic cloves'.  However, to me they look more like a clam shell or something.  Then, you can see some flames, which could be really fun done in the right thread on black fabric!
Next I tried out what she called 'waves' but I kind of see it as more of a cameo pattern.  Call it what you will, it was soothing and simple to sew.  Then below that I started to go with only making straight lines.  Now in free motion, that means I have to have a steady hand movement, because the machine is not helping me at all here.  I think it was pretty good for my first time.  Then I tried some leaves with berries, and a flower.

Then of course I started to really relax into it and have some fun.  By the time my instructor came back from helping answer someone's question, I had sewn the following picture.  Yip, I had sewn a version of my instructor.  Then I decided to try out the alphabet!  It was actually rather fun to do, here is part of it!
I must be off though, I have some sewing prep to do before tomorrow nights class (working on a queen size quilt and it's taking lots of time!)  



No comments:

Post a Comment